I spent this Christmas alone in New York City. First Christmas I’ve ever spent alone. After taking a leap into adulthood by moving away from home, Christmas isn’t the same, but maybe it wasn’t just that. Less doors and balconies were decorated with lights, less holiday cheer coming from the people around me. Even though the holiday isn’t the same as it once was as a child, I despise what Christmas has become. A holiday based around giving and getting materialistic items to benefit the producer and make the consumer feel good only temporary.
I went home for Thanksgiving. I didn’t think I would miss my family so soon. I thought Christmas Day would be the perfect moment to be alone. I work in luxury retail, so you can only imagine how busy I had been. Cooking, napping, painting, and watching movies were all on my agenda. My roommates were home for the holidays, so I walked around like it was my born day! Not a care that NYC apartments are so close together -I wouldn’t be surprised if my neighbors saw me drop it likes its hot to Gucci Mane’s new album. I guess I used the day everyone is expected to be surrounded by people they love to surround myself with the person I am still growing to love… Myself.
One thing I know makes me happy is cooking. When asked as a child what I wanted to be when I grew up I said Emeril Lagasse, so it was my first act of self-care on my Christmas alone. I woke up December 25th and typed “Eggs with Smoked Salmon” in the Pinterest search bar. I’m not huge fan of Eggs Benedict, so I wanted to see what other recipes I could whip up. I came across Smoked Salmon and Tomato Frittata. It was very easy and paired great with the left over frozen breakfast potatoes I had in the back of my freezer.
Smoked Salmon and Tomato Frittata is a great way to get some protein, veggies, and healthy fats into your diet with very minimal effort, you can also add spinach or kale. Paired with a wholegrain English muffin or toast and some fruit, it’s a meal that will power you through your day and helping you conquer those 2017 goals.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 oz smoked salmon
- 6 eggs
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- coarse salt and fresh ground pepper
- 2 oz shredded cheese
- Preheat broiler.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a 10 inch nonstick skillet.
- Add 4 oz sliced salmon (broken into pieces) into skillet. Whisk 6 eggs with milk well until light and frothy. Gently add the eggs into the skillet and let set, about 3-4 minutes.
- Season egg mixture with salt and pepper. Sprinkle cheese evenly over top of frittata, then carefully place under broiler. Let cook under broiler 4-6 minutes until eggs are set and fluffy and slightly browned.
- Take out of oven, let cook slightly then slice into 4 even triangles to serve.
4,541 total views, 5 views today