Vegan or Vegetarian Homemade Enchiladas
This was the second meal I was itching to make when I came back from Costa Rica, the first being Chickpea Curry Stew (no pics, we were way too hungry lol). If you read my last post, you know that I STRUGGLED with finding adequate produce to cook the way I like in Costa Rica. I made do, but I couldn’t wait to get home and try out some new dishes!
These black bean, quinoa, sweet potato enchiladas are totally vegan if you use corn tortillas. I used spinach wraps, because we already had them and they were delicious!
- 1/4 cup of tomato paste
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. chili powder
- 1 can or 15oz black beans
- 1 can or 15oz corn
- 2 sweet potato
- spinach wraps
- 1/2 cups quinoa
- 4-5 green onions, sliced
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 2 small avocados
- almond cheese or nutritional yeast
It starts with the sauce:
- Boil the quinoa and bake the sweet potato (or you can dice and boil it too)
- In a bowl – mix together the flour and spices
- Heat olive oil in a sauce pan and add tomato paste when warm.
- Stir in the flour and spices
- Whisk and add in vegetable broth once blended.
- Continue whisking until it comes to a boil.
- Cover and simmer until thickened. (salt and pepper to taste)
While your sauce is brewing:
- Dice avocados and green onions
- Drain beans and corn/pour into large bowl
- Add avocados, green onions, quinoa and cumin
- STIR 🙂
- Toss in the avocado and sweet potato
Let it bake:
- Coat the bottom of your pan with your enchilada sauce
- Spoon the filling into each tortilla, roll it up and place it seam side down
- Pour the remaining sauce over it
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Top with cilantro and almond cheese or nutritional yeast.
2,506 total views, 1 views today